Mega Projects are projects that consist of several projects that are being developed together. This can be in any industry and in different fields. Mega Projects in the property industry usually involve a number of different projects coordinated and forming one large project.
Typical mega project would be something like building a new town or a new area. This could involve developing:
- A large number of various residential units (a project in its own right) and also schools (another project in its own right), together with retail (which could be another project), etc.
- Building and developing various other facilities,
- Urban farming (and intensive farming too),
- Industrial park (project on its own),
- Upskilling and training,
- Large infrastructure (another project on its own) which would normally include building a brand-new electrical substation and maybe a water tower,
- Renewable energies capacities like a solar farm (project on its own); Greywater and effluent treatment, etc.
- Fibre & ICT, internet connectivity and WIFI
- Smart lighting and smart infrastructure
- And so on.
All the above forms part of one Mega Project. Each project within the Mega Project is independent, yet interdependent with the rest of the Mega Project (and with the other projects within that Mega Project).
Human Settlements Mega Projects means that the Mega Project is approved by human Settlements and is of a certain size.
In order to The Department to consider a mega Project, it needs to be 10 000 residential units and bigger. Such new settlements need to include all the facilities and amenities a new community would need: schools, retail, creation of jobs, involving the community in the building and delivering the units and so on.
The Department wants sustainable and integrated projects that will enable the community to grow and be uplifting and empowering.